Saturday 27 April 2013

MECHGARR~! PHALANX! And a lot more stuff related to what's happening at C2E2 this weekend.

I wish i could go along. Right now most of the American contingent to our worldwide 5.5 squat action figure movement are a the Chicago Comic Con with works by me and a bunch of fellow action figure artists/nerds at the Nerd City booth. The collection is known as the Phalanx, headed by Ben "Galaxxor" Spencer and it looks soooo cool. I have to say, when it comes to comics and toys, no-one does it like the Americans. I did some fun weekends of collecting in Japan but in the States now, thanks to the internet, you've got the complete back-catalogue of all cool stuff ever available it would seem.
 I've been to a few cons here, and aside from perving at Cosplay girls (does the fact that conventions are often based in hotels never make you think your chances of pulling are way higher?), the lack of scale means that you're pretty limited in what you can get.
Imagine though, walking along, seeing some hot pro-cosplay girls 7/8 naked, taking a pic with a guy dressed as Gamera, then chancing upon this!

(Pics (C) ManorMonster? studios, Fantasic Plastic Toys)

I remember in the mid 90s you'd see "garage kits" at conventions. It was something we in the UK at least, just didn't give much recognition to. I find it hard to imagine anyone who loved figures as a kid never wanting to make their own. Forgetting the coolness of the fact that these all fit into my vintage MOTU collection - these are full blown ACTION figures! What's that by MoM in the top right? It's got the same magnetic joints and is totally compatible with his figures...

It's...

MECHGARR~!

I've been planning a collab with Brandon of MoM studios for ages. I sent him a couple of blank casts. He came back with a re-engineered, re-invented version and it's awesome. It's 100% playable, and super posable.

THese are a C2E2 exclusive but i'm just so glad with what I've been able to do with Treegarr. The unbelievable help from Ben Spencer in getting it done in the first place (not to mention the support. I'm a pretty sensitive guy and if I think i'm wasting my time with something, i'll drop it like hot shit), and then getting to do the collab with him was awesome. It's this kind of stuff that keeps me on the resin when money's tight. Then Brandon makes this! This stuff for me is the payoff. It certainly isn't about the money - i'd have to me a masochist if it was.

Also at C2E2 this weekend is my contribution to the amazing first release playset for Mystical Warriors of the Ring - my first mini comic.

I'm highly self critical of my art. I don't know how it looks to other people so I'll see what feedback I get on it. I did a lot of work but everytime i say that I think of Napoleon Dynamite saying "I spent 3 hours shading the upper lip".

The box set the comic is part of is immense and unprecedented in the amount of stuff you get for an indie minifig.

No comments:

Post a Comment